boy border





Sunday, August 7, 2011

Be a Lover, Not a Biter

My charming little 8-month-old, Lucas,  has become a biter since getting his two bottom teeth. Many a lady wants to pinch his chubby, dimpled cheeks, and he likes to give out slobbery smooches. But, lately, the wet kisses lead to a bite. He bit Aunt Sarah's arm a couple weeks ago, leaving a mark. I can't count the number of times he's bit me.

I've tried to follow up with a sharp "NO", and I think that's helping. Also, I usually give him a teether or something else to chew on. I try to warn people ahead of time, and I can usually tell when he's going to bite. So, hopefully we're nearing the end of a phase!

Have you had a biter? What did you do?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when you and your twin sister bit each other, leaving teeth marks & bruises at times. I happened to see an expert on TV who said that children learn aggression, basically saying that if your child bites, it's because someone bit him. Trust me, that's just not true! I think you're doing the right thing to suppress it in Lucas. In the meantime, wear padded armor. Love, Mom

Jenny said...

Ah yes, I remember you saying that. :) Well, his top teeth are popping through, too. I think he just wants to chew on everything, but hope it ends soon.

Anonymous said...

Well, the bite wound has healed and didn't leave a scar. So, no permanent harm done by the little guy. - Aunt Sarah

Jenny said...

Good to know! He's current on all his shots. :)

Anonymous said...

Bite him back. Believe me, you can teach an 8 month old not to do things like bite someone.

Jenny said...

Good news--I think he's over the biting now.